The mission of the Public History Center is to foster the public’s broader understanding of the importance of history and to forge closer relationships between Christopher Newport and the world-class museums, archives, and public history agencies located throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. We promote innovation and entrepreneurial approaches for communicating history to the public. Here’s what we do:
- Match Christopher Newport student interns with world-class public history agencies
- Generate student interest and professional opportunities in public history and museum management
- Foster cooperation among public historians and the academic community
- Identify and document museum best practices and assist with dissemination
- Explore social media opportunities related to attracting and engaging history enthusiasts and the broader public
- Conduct research on challenges faced by public history agencies in the 21st century
For more information, visit the Public History Center that is supported by the CNU Department of History.